Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Massive Four Month Project


Phew. What a project. The last four months have been spent drafting, mocking, sewing, painting, and lacing. The costume that I made is Sheik from the Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Brothers series. She/he is a badass and the lovely Korina who wore the cosplay said she felt like she could take anyone while she was wearing it.


She wore it to Magfest and was stopped every two minutes for pictures. It took half an hour to go anywhere. A couple of people said it was the best Sheik cosplay they've ever seen. It was really cool being able to see people give compliments when I'm not the person in the center of attention. It was every introverted costumer's dream.

 (Awesome fight between the two Smash Brothers characters)

As per usual with all of my sewing endeavors, I was really bad at taking pictures in the middle of the project. I always get so caught up in the work that I'm five steps ahead before I realize I should take a picture. And then it's always such a mess in the room that I'm embarrassed about what else would be in the frame. I try to hide my sloppy tendencies as best I can. As far as anyone knows, I am quite tidy.
(My one and only progress picture. I hid my name on the back because it's covered by the corset piece anyway and it's in the writing system of Twilight Princess)

I'm considering adding a listing on Etsy for a custom Sheik cosplay since this one came out so well. Then I consider that this did take up four months of my life. So conflicted. Maybe in a month or two when I forget the hand sewing of forty eyelets. Maybe it will be like people who have babies. In a month or two they forget how sucky pregnancy and childbirth were and want another baby. 

(Fox McCloud was pretty awesome too, but my costume is on the left)

For now I'm ready for some different projects. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment