Thursday, March 19, 2015

We've Moved Cards

We move waaaay too often.

(I loved the colors of this one!)


I thought that we needed a humorous way to tell everyone we've moved yet again. If you're not up on your U.S. geography we're moving from Virginia to Connecticut. We bought a house so we're finally ready to stay put for a little longer this time. It's a welcome change from the yearly move we've become accustomed to.


To make these cards I had a box of blank colored cards in my craft box. I Googled "Virginia outline" and "Connecticut outline" and sized them in Microsoft Word. I wanted Connecticut to be the focus so I made it the larger of the two, proportions be damned. I printed out the states and painstakingly cut out as much of the details as possible. I couldn't make them perfect, but as long as they were recognizable I wasn't too concerned. 

Note: I have no suggestions for people moving to or from Wyoming or Colorado. Uncreative borders make for difficult silhouette distinctions.

I found some coordinating papers and traced the states so I could cut out little copies. Make sure you're tracing them the right way! A couple of times I had Virginia facing the wrong direction on the print side of the paper and I had to start over. Learn from my mistakes!

I used a regular glue stick to adhere the states to the cards. I drew a little heart on our new location with a pink pen. I used a black pen to draw the dashed line from Virginia to Connecticut. I decided to throw in a little loop for some flair because a straight line is so boring. 

I free-handed the text using a piece of paper along the bottom to keep my writing straight. If you're not frequent relocaters like we are, you can omit the "again" and just announce that you've moved. 

(Look at them all!)

I'm glad we know few enough people to get away with only sending this many. And with facebook and everything moving cards aren't nearly as necessary as they once were, but I think it's charming to send out handwritten notes every once in a while.

(Off to the mailbox!)

Many home improvement posts are coming up thanks to our new house. Stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment