Monday, March 31, 2014

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Almonds Copy Cat

I love Trader Joe's. I don't think I have purchased a single product there that I didn't love.

Their cereal? Love it.

Their guacamole? Love it.

Their pizzas? Love them.



I also love their chocolates. My favorite Trader Joe's chocolate snack has got to be their dark chocolate almonds. Not only are they almonds covered in rich dark chocolate (which is an amazing start), but they are also sprinkled with turbino sugar and coarse sea salt. Drool. It's reminiscent of chocolate covered pretzels which are always amazing. The only issue with these chocolate covered bites of heaven was the price. So naturally I thought, "Hey! I can make my own!"

So here we are.

This recipe takes a bit of time because chocolate needs to melt and then set. All that good stuff. It also has two layers of chocolate because the TJ's version has a fairly thick chocolate coating.

First, i assemble my ingredients. I have my pound of delicious dark chocolate, my almonds, my sugar, my sea salt, and the original recipe to sample on while I make my own. It was purely for research. I swear.


I melted half of the chocolate in the microwave. (You can use a double boiler if you are more comfortable with that. I know a lot of people have trouble over doing the chocolate in the microwave).  Next, I tossed the almond with the melted chocolate and placed them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I tried to keep them separated, but I got tired and laid them out all clumped together. After they were completely dry, I repeated the process with the remaining chocolate. While still wet I sprinkled the sugar and salt over the top.


Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Almonds Copy Cat Recipe

Ingredients

1 lb dark chocolate
12 oz almonds
1 Tbsp coarse sea salt
1 Tbsp turbino sugar

Directions

1. Melt half of the dark chocolate in a large bowl either in the microwave or using the double boiler technique.
2. Stir the almonds with the chocolate until completely coated.
3. Drop the almonds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Allow to sit for an hour or until the chocolate is hardened.
5. Mix together the sea salt and the sugar.
6. Repeat the first three steps with the remaining chocolate. While the chocolate is still soft sprinkle the almonds with the sugar and salt mixture.
7. Allow to sit for two hours or until the chocolate is hardened. Transfer to an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment