Thursday, April 10, 2014

Coffee Infused Vodka

Coffee Vodka. Is that not the most wonderful combination in the world? My husband loves any type of coffee flavored drink so when he and I went out to dinner he ordered a cocktail with coffee vodka in it. It was perfect. I knew I would have to attempt to recreate it at home otherwise we would end up going to that restaurant every weekend just for a drink. Spending $12 for a cocktail I could make at home? No way. 




So I started by figuring out the ingredients. I asked the waiter what was in the delicious drink. There was the coffee vodka, of course, along with coffee liqueur, strong brewed coffee, and cream. I didn't want to spend $40+ on a small bottle of flavored vodka so I decided that I could make my own. I also used lowfat milk for his drink and almond milk for mine since cream is gross. 
I took a big bottle of vodka (I figured we would end up using a lot of it) and some whole coffee beans (Costa Rican coffee is by far the best. I refuse to be told otherwise). 


I put about three handfuls in a flat-bottomed container (measurements aren't super important for this). 


I had another container that nested in the lager one so I used that to smash the beans. You could also use the bottom of a glass. You want to break them into smaller pieces so that the vodka really gets all of the flavor, but not too broken up. 



Pour some of the vodka out of the container (do with it as you please). You need to be able to fit all of your beans in there plus a little wiggle room for shaking. Use a funnel to pour the beans into the vodka bottle. I shook it for about 30 seconds. I kept the bottle under the bar and shook it every day for five days. On the fifth day I strained the liquid through a coffee filter and poured the vodka back into the original bottle. 

Ta da! Delicious flavored vodka at a fraction of the price. You can drink it straight, but I recommend making the following cocktail. 

Coffee Infused Vodka

Ingredients
Vodka
Coffee beans

Directions
Pour a cup of vodka out of the vodka bottle.

Crush three handfuls of coffee beans. Do not grind. Break them into pieces.

Funnel the beans into the vodka bottle ensuring that you have enough room to shake the mixture.

Shake the bottle for thirty seconds and store in a cool, dark place.

Shake the bottle every day for five days. On the fifth day filter the vodka through a coffee filter to ensure that the vodka has no particulates.

Coffee Martini

Ingredients
2 ounces coffee infused vodka
2 ounces coffee liqueur
2 ounces strong brewed coffee, chilled
2 ounces milk, dairy or almond

Directions
Pour all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and add ice. Shake vigorously.

Pour into two martini glasses and enjoy your delicious cocktails.


No comments:

Post a Comment