Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Breakfast Sandwiches

My husband goes to work at 5:30 AM. That does not leave a lot of time for a well rounded breakfast. I don't even want to think about eating breakfast at 5 AM let alone cooking it. Hitting the button on the kuerig is about the only thing that I'm capable of doing at that point.





So I whip up these bad boys once a week and freeze them. I just unwrap the foil, put it on a plate, microwave for 1 minute, wrap up in the foil again, and voile! Breakfast is served. It sure beats a Micky Ds egg mcmuffin. Not that either of us has stepped foot in a McDonalds in five years. But you get the point.

The best part is that it's really easy to incorporate a little variety in these sandwiches. Use sausage instead of bacon, scramble rather than fry, toss some spinach in the eggs, and so on and so forth. Every week I do something a little different so things don't get too boring.

So first off we assemble the desired ingredients!


This week I have eggs, cheddar cheese, whole grain english muffins, and turkey bacon. Usually the meat will take the most time to cook so just cook it how you normally would. I cook my bacon in the oven on a baking sheet.

Next, I fried the eggs over medium heat in some butter.


My crappy apartment stove has lopsided coils so the eggs always end up drifting to one side. One day I will have an even stovetop! One day!


All nice and fried and salted and peppered.

Next, I start my assembly station. I used deli squares of cheddar and folded them up in the middle of the bottom half of the english muffin so when I microwave them the cheese doesn't end up everywhere.


I topped with an egg and one piece of bacon broken in half to fit nicely.


Perfect! Then I just individually wrap each one in foil and pop them in the freezer. So easy!


Breakfast Sandwiches

Ingredients

6 pieces Turkey bacon
6 eggs
1 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper
6 deli slices cheddar cheese
6 whole-grain english muffins

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400°F

Arrange the slices of turkey bacon on a baking sheet so the pieces aren't overlapping. Bake for 8-10 or until desired crispness.

Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Add the eggs to the pan and cook until the egg is set on one side. Flip each egg over individually and cook until the other side is set. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.

Make sandwiches by layering the bottom half of the english muffin, a slice of cheese, one egg, one piece of bacon broken in half to fit the sandwich, and the top half of the english muffin. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

To freeze:
Wrap each sandwich in foil. To reheat, remove the sandwich from the foil and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for one minute and rewrap in the foil for portability or eat right away.


No comments:

Post a Comment