Monday, February 10, 2014

Coconut Body Butter

I have been using coconut oil as a moisturizer for about a year now. I like the really low price, I love the smell, and I love that it's all natural. But I still have not gotten over that gross, oily feeling you have immediately get after spreading the coconut oil over my skin. I know that a lot of other people avoid using coconut oil for this reason. So I decided to make a body butter that absorbs better, but still has all of the things I like about coconut oil.




This body butter feels a million times better. The cocoa butter helps your skin absorb the moisturizer. I also added some vanilla extract to make this body butter smell like an amazing coconut-vanilla cake. You can use actual vanilla bean pods if you want, but I'm saving mine for another project coming up.


You still only need to use the smallest amount of body butter at a time. Otherwise, you will feel greasy. It also doesn't hurt to rub the body butter between your hands to warm the oil before using it on the rest of your body.

If your applying the lotion to your body after a shower always pat dry your skin with a towel rather than rubbing. You want to keep your skin moist before applying the lotion because it helps your skin absorb it better.


I suggest using a unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil. This is the kind of coconut oil that has that lovely coconut scent. The cocoa butter that I used was just something I picked up in the clearance section. You want equal parts of both of those. I used 1 cup each because I wanted enough to fill my lotion jar.

You can use vanilla extract or vanilla bean seeds. For this batch I used 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.

Combine all of the ingredients in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk away for ten minutes on full speed.



Enjoy!



Coconut Body Butter

Ingredients

1 cup unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil
1 cup cocoa butter
1 Tbsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod, halved and seeds scraped

Directions

Add coconut oil, cocoa butter, and vanilla extract to an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.

Whisk on high speed for 10 minutes or until the body butter is light and fully combined



No comments:

Post a Comment