Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup

Sometimes I wonder why I never cook shrimp.


I like the taste of shrimp, but I always seem to be reluctant to make it at home. Then I make a recipe with shrimp and I have an 'aha!' moment. Peeling and deveining shrimp is the biggest pain in the butt. Nothing
grosses me out more than eating a shrimp dish and there is some "vein" (if you don't know what the vein really is, I suggest that you do not look it up). So I devein the shrimp as meticulously as I can. Which means it takes about half an hour to peel and devein half a pound of shrimp. And my hands are like ice cubes because I never seem to thaw them all the way.



Feel free to use the pre-peeled and deveined kind, but I don't have that kind of bank account (plus there always seems to be a couple of shrimp that aren't cleaned properly). You can also use any size shrimp you want. I prefer the medium size because this is a delicate soup and that kind of goes out the window when you're trying to shove an entire jumbo shrimp in your mouth. Even though there was the hassle with the shrimp, this dish is lovely and is really quick if your shrimp is already prepped. It is also a great way to introduce people to Thai food if they're not adventurous eaters.


Combine the stock, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt. (You can use regular coconut milk, but the calorie count will skyrocket. Also the fat content. I know that a lot of paleo dieters say how great coconut fat it is, but fat is never healthy no matter what new fad says that it is)

The 2 teaspoons of curry powder listed in the ingredients is for a medium spiciness. It just has the slightest hint of spice. If you want your soup very mild, use 1 teaspoon. If you want it hotter, use 3 or more teaspoons. I recommend adding the paste in increments and tasting as you go to ensure it doesn't go too far.

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.


Add the green beans and cook for two minutes.


Add the shrimp and cook for 3-5 minutes. It depends on the size of your shrimp. You want to cook the shrimp until it gets that nice pink color.



Next, top with some sliced scallions and serve with lime wedges.

That's all it takes. Enjoy!




Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup

Ingredients

3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 14 oz can light coconut milk
2 tsp red curry paste
1 Tbsp fish sauce
3 tsp ginger juice or grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 lime, sliced into wedges

Directions

In a medium pot over medium-high heat combine chicken broth, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt.

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Add the green beans and cook for two minutes.

Add the shrimp and cook until pink. 3-5 minutes depending on the size.

Top with scallions and serve with lime on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment